I spent a good part of this week getting the qualifications necessary for working with children. Monday I did a required background check. Vinita, Sarah-Guyton and I went to the D.C. Courthouse. We provided them with our driver’s licenses and social security numbers. While they ran the background checks we had to go to a different part of the building to pay. We had to stand in line for quite awhile. Then we went back upstairs to pick up our background checks. It was quite a process, and it took all morning. In the afternoon we worked on the timeline for the classroom. We decided to make it look like a metro map. We used color tape to represent the three neighborhoods. On Microsoft word I created dots that looked the dots on the metro map. We put the dates in these dots. Then we mounted the events on colored construction paper. Typing everything up and cutting it out took up all Monday afternoon and Tuesday morning.

Tuesday afternoon Jamee had a big meeting. She invited to explore DC a bit and go check out a photography exhibit. We decided to go to the African Art Museum and see an exhibit about the artist Paul Emmanuel called Transitions. According to the museum’s website, “”Transitions” comprises a series of five ostensibly “photographic” works which, when examined closely, reveal sensitively hand-drawn, photo-realist images on photographic paper. The works contemplate manhood and the transitions an individual goes through in society.” The photos depict events such as putting on a suit coat and a circumcision. An accompanying film examines the ritual of military recruits getting their heads shaved. Emmanuel’s work inspired me to try to find a way to get the students to hand alter their photographs, or maybe collage them with historic photographs I have found. After seeing the exhibit I had to go to the Health Center at AU to get a TB test. They are required to work with children. I also met with Dr. Langa to turn in the first part of my journal and get feedback on my thesis paper.

Wednesday we continued to help Jamee with classroom prep. We kept working on the timeline, cutting out events and mounting them on construction paper. We were able to finish the timeline, but did not hung it up. Thursday we had CPR and First Aid training. That took up the entire day. It was a great deal of information presented all at once, but luckily I passed the tests for both parts, so I am officially certified. The instructor had dummies for us to practice on, which was helpful.

Friday morning I went back to the AU Health Center so the doctor could see if I reacted to the TB test. I had not so they gave me a clean bill of health. Then I went to the NBM. We had an intern field trip to the Tudor Place, in Georgetown. All the interns went. It was nice getting to know some of them better, as they work in different departments so I don’t often see them. We had lunch with the Tudor Place interns, and they were friendly and interesting to talk to. Then we got a tour of the house. The house was built by Martha Washington’s granddaughter, Martha Custis Peter, and her husband, Thomas Peter, in 1816. Tudor Place remained under the ownership of six generations of the Peter family, unitl 1983. After the death of the last owner the house was opened to the public in 1988 under the stewardship of the Tudor Place Foundation. The home has over 100 objects that originally belonged to George and Martha Washington and the largest silver collection in the country.